Start your mission with DLR.
The German Aerospace Center (DLR) is the national aeronautics and space research centre and the space agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. Here, 8000 employees work together on a unique variety of topics in the fields of aeronautics, space, energy, transport, digitalisation and security. Their missions range from basic research to the development of innovative applications and products for tomorrow. Cutting-edge research requires excellent minds – particularly more females – at all levels, who fully achieve their potential in an inspiring environment. Launch your mission with us.
For our Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology in Braunschweig we are looking for a
Development of aerodynamic surrogate models and intrusive ROMs
DLR’s guiding concept "the virtual product", deals with virtualizing the design and development processes and laying the foundations for a complete digital description of aircraft on the basis of high-fidelity simulation methods. In aerodynamics, data-driven modelling methods and machine learning are increasingly being used for this purpose, including advanced surrogate models and reduced order models (ROMs). These methods shall be further developed and applied for different aerodynamic problems. This will enable the CFD-based prediction of aerodynamic loads of the elastic aircraft with confidence intervals up to the borders of the flight envelope for use in multidisciplinary simulations and optimization.
You will work on the following topics:
- further development of aerodynamic surrogate models and intrusive ROMs with error estimators, especially for unsteady and transonic flows using machine learning methods
- investigation and evaluation of alternative methods for dimensionality reduction for dynamic problems such as gust or maneuver loads prediction
- development of process chains for the automatic creation of surrogate models and ROMs for elastic aircraft configurations with control surfaces, for use on CFD-based, multidisciplinary simulations and optimization
- integration into existing process chains for mono- and multidisciplinary simulations, optimization and testing
- integration of the developed methods into DLR's toolbox for data-driven modelling
- documentation of the work and publication of the results
- You hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in engineering or the natural sciences with a specialization in aerospace engineering, scientific computing or mathematics
- You have profound knowledge of aircraft aerodynamics
- You have good knowledge and experience of numerical methods / computational fluid mechanics
- You have good programming skills, preferably in C, C++ and Python under Linux
- You are a team player and able to work independent and self-motivated
- You have a good command of English, both oral and written
- You have prior knowledge in reduced-order and/or surrogate modeling
- You have previously developed and used CFD codes and performed coupled aero-structural simulations
- You have previous experience in optimization, MDO, static aeroelasticity or the industrial loads process
- You have previous research experience
- preferably basic knowledge of reduced order modeling methods and machine learning
- preferably experience with the development and/or application of CFD codes and CFD-CSM coupling
- preferably previous knowledge in the field of optimization, multidisciplinary optimization (MDO), the industrial load processes or static aeroelasticity
- preferably previous research activities (e.g. completed PhD)
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (m/f/non-binary). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please contact Norbert Kroll by calling +49 531 295-2440. Please find further information on this vacancy with the reference number 38515, and details regarding the application procedure, at www.DLR.de/dlr/jobs/#36150.