Traineeship as Personal Assistant to the Deputy Executive Director
Since its founding in 2007, the International Civil Society Centre has established itself as the joint platform for the world’s leading international civil society organisations (ICSOs). Our aim is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of ICSOs by bringing together the most important actors, facilitating communication and enabling cooperation. Our main events have become fixed dates in the calendars of key leaders in the civil society sector and we provide services to collective ICSO projects. A large number of the CEOs from leading ICSOs are regular participants in the Centre’s programmes and play a key role in defining and forming the activities. For more information, please visit: www.icscentre.org.
The Centre is currently offering a trainee position as “Personal Assistant to the Deputy Executive Director”.
This is a unique opportunity to take on an entry-level position in a fast-paced environment, working within a small, enthusiastic team and closely with leading ICSOs. The traineeship is suitable for recent graduates who are keen to gain first-hand experience in the civil society sector and its management. Following a thirteen month training period with the Centre, there is a possibility that the candidate is offered a further five month training period with a partner organisation, thus having the opportunity to gain thorough insights into two different organisations both working on the international level within global civil society.
You will work as part of the Centre’s Executive Team and develop an insight into most areas of the Centre’s work and management. You will have the opportunity to take a leading role in administration and organisational development of a growing organisation. Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the daily work of the Deputy Executive Director, e.g. preparation and follow up of meetings, calls and business trips, contact management, diary/calendar management, etc.
- Providing assistance in the areas of general office administration, and acting as contact person for our service suppliers
- Support in the management of various Centre projects in the Deputy Executive Director’s area of responsibility and take the lead on at least one project
- Communications, including: preparing and laying out documents about the Centre and its activities e.g., the Centre’s quarterly and annual reports and the internal newsletter
- Processing in- and outgoing correspondence, proofreading and translating documents in German and English
- Developing and updating the database of the Centre’s contacts and partner organisations
- Conducting internet-based research on specific organisations, networks, the sector as a whole, conferences etc.
- Coordinating with other members of staff to ensure smooth running of the Centre
- Fulfilling other tasks assigned by members of the Executive Team
- Strong interest in the management, administration and leadership of ICSOs
- Proactive attitude and willingness to assume own areas of responsibility
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Diligent, reliable and focused way of operating with strong attention to detail
- Team spirit
- Strong communication skills; fluent in English and intermediate German, additional languages an asset
- Very good writing and editing skills
- Excellent MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Experience in website administration (HTML, CRM and CMS, in particular Expression Engine) is an asset
- Understanding of the sector’s main challenges and means to address these
- Gaining key management and coordination skills both in administration and project-based work
- Clearer understanding of possible career paths and own potential
- Insight into different ICSOs within global civil society
- Ability to run an executive office to excellent standards
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as part of a team, but also take initiative, identifying gaps and proposing solutions
- One in-house staff training on a topic relevant to the work of the Centre will offer an additional learning opportunity
Duration: 13 months at the Centre and potentially 5 months in another ICSO – the latter is to be confirmed
Working hours: 40 hours/week
Holidays: 26 days p.a.
Compensation: 900 € per month before tax
Location: Berlin, Germany
Starting date: 18 August 2014
Application for the position
Your application should:
- consist of a CV and cover letter - you should indicate your motivation for starting a traineeship at the Centre and how the traineeship would fit into plans for your professional future;
- be in English; and
- be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 June 2014.
Interviews will take place on 7 and 8 July in Berlin.